Call For Artists – Kentville Mural Festival
July 23-25, 2021
Deadline to Apply: Friday, June 25, 2021
Kentville Business Community (KBC) is launching the inaugural Kentville Mural Festival #weARTkentville that will commission artists to create murals throughout the Town of Kentville on July 23-25, 2021. This project aims to…
- Offer a COVID-19 friendly community event that fills a gap due to cancelled public events,
- Offer creative place-making opportunities to local artists and access to revenue streams during COVID-19,
- Tell our diverse stories of Kentville through visual art,
- Leave a lasting legacy of art and beautification in the Town of Kentville,
- Bring attention and awareness to local businesses and public spaces by attracting visitors to town.
The purpose of the #weartkentville Mural Festival is to celebrate our arts community, bolster community pride, and deepen our collective understandings of cultural and individual perspectives in the region through the creation of murals in the Town of Kentville. KBC is asking artists to ‘tell their story’ of Kentville through visual art pieces.
We are seeking a diverse range of visual stories from artists who have lived in Annapolis Valley their entire lives, to artists who are recent immigrants or are passing through. We particularly want to hear stories from communities or individuals that have been historically underrepresented in public art projects across our region. Kentville is already home to a number of heritage murals that honors the town’s railway history, as well as treasured buildings that have been torn down. However, this is a narrow scope of the story Kentville has to tell. We want to hear what Kentville means to you!
About the Project:
- The Mural Festival is organized by Kentville Business Community, with support from the Town of Kentville and Tides Contemporary Art Gallery
- There are two opportunities available:
- Murals on the surface of exterior walls (created on-site July 23-25, 2021)
- Murals on large canvases (can be created off-site, to be hung the weekend of July 23-25). The canvas murals will be temporary, and will be removed in November.
- There will be four project sites for murals on exterior wall surfaces, and two project sites for multiple canvases
- Kentville Business Community has allocated:
- $1,000 per mural site (for approximately an 8’ x 8’ sized mural, but can vary in dimensions)
- $250 for each 48″ x 40″ canvas (multiple canvases can be used)
- Costs of paint, supplies, equipment, installation hardware, etc. will be covered
- Teams of artists are encouraged to apply
- A workshop will be held for those who are new to mural-making, facilitated by an established mural artist
- Final concepts must be approved by the property owner by July 16
- Murals must be created the weekend of July 23-25
Artists and teams will apply through an online form available here.
Prior to applying, applicants should prepare:
- images of your concept
- an explanation of the concept
- 3 images of past work or completed installations (previous mural work is not mandatory)
- 2 references who can speak to the quality and timeliness of your work.
While anyone is eligible to apply, Kentville Business Community does offer special encouragement to artists from identity groups that are underrepresented in our public spaces, and/or artists or teams of artists with personal connections to our community.
Submissions will be reviewed by a selection committee on June 30. This program is committed to finding the right art, artist, and message to activate the business community and public spaces. Selected artists will be announced July 1 with site planning and final approvals to take place through July.