A Business Improvement Area (BIA) or Business Improvement District (BID) is an association of commercial property owners and tenants within a defined area who work in partnership with the Town to create thriving, competitive, and safe business areas that attract shoppers, diners, tourists, and new businesses.
BIAs improve their local economies through activities such as:
- Promotion of shops and services
- Hosting festivals and events that draw people to the downtown area
- Safety and security initiatives
- Beautification efforts and façade improvements
- Strategic plans for business recruitment and infrastructure projects
- Providing opportunities for networking and collaboration
- Advocate on behalf of their membership as a unified voice
BIAs develop a budget for improvements and, through the Town, collect a levy from businesses in the area to raise the necessary funds. BIAs are also able to apply for grants from other regional economic development agencies and provincial and federal granting bodies.